Wednesday, September 8, 2010

perfect nyc day





meghan and i had a magical labor day in nyc. We met on the corner of 5th and Central Park South, where the people watching was phenomenal, and made our way to sheep's meadow. We played scrabble here and eavesdropped on confrontations with the police and weird people that didn't seem to be enjoying each other's company.

We kind of restlessly wandered around until we found our
selves at the gug

normally, I'm not such a fan of the Guggenheim, I kind of think it's overpriced and too highbrow for me. I usually just find myself hemming and hawing over a video of a ballerina trying to figure out how it reflects the impacts of globalization on race relations in modern Turkey, or whatever the exhibit is supposed to be about. But when I'm with meghan it's none of my concern because she just flashes her badge, gives a coy smile, and we are whisked past the lines and guards without ever having to pull out our wallets.

Which was nice because damn if I could figure out how any
of the things were "haunted" as the installation promised. I guess I just feel like that's a pretty broad category, you can rationalize anything as being "haunted". Trust me, I'm master at bullshitting and justification. I once got an A on a paper about "A Farewell to Arms" based entirely on the paragraph that I read on the back of the book moments before class.

Thankfully I didn't have to write any reports on our trip t
o the gug, but I did get some nice pictures of the interior before the guards scolded me
.
It was a really nice day, of course one of those, "i won't have days like this in L.A." but I tried to just appreciate it for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment