Thursday, September 30, 2010

random man

Some random man just walked through the office where I work.  I was the only person who saw him.

He was not the man pictured above, but that came up when I google image searched for "random man". 

This guy came in the front door of our office, walked through the office to the back, turned around and walked right back out.  He was walking with such determination that I just assumed he must belong here.  There aren't that many people who work in this office, but there are sometimes random people like computer techs that come in.  I figured he was somebody like that. 

After he left my supervisor came over and said, "what just happened"

apparently this guy just walked in to the wrong office?  But I mean, he made it all the way through the entire office before he realized.  That seems odd, but I guess I could see myself doing the same thing.  I'm always afraid that i'll have somehow gotten on the wrong plane and have to be that jerk that has to get his bag out of the overhead compartment and walk all the way down the aisle with everyone's laughing eyes on me.

When I lived in Florida I went to a really small school that didn't have buses.  It wasn't until we moved to Charleston when I was 8 that I had to ride a bus for the first time and I remember telling my mom that I didn't know how I would know which bus to get on at the end of the day and she said, "when you get on the bus in the morning, look and see who else from our neighborhood is on the bus.  At the end of the day try to find one of those kids and just follow them on to the bus."

So on the first day of 3rd grade I get on the bus and scan all the faces, hoping that I will be able to remember them by the end of the day.  When I get to homeroom I'm relieved to see a girl, Mary Catherine, who was on the bus with me is in my 3rd grade class.  I'll never forget she was wearing a red plaid bow in her hair, I noticed it on the bus because I figured it would be easy to spot in a crowd at the end of the day.   But now I could relax and enjoy my first day of class because I knew I could handle the bus situation at the end of the day.

So it's 3:00 and we're all getting ready to leave.  I guess Mary Catherine must have noticed me frantically staring at her while i packed up my things because I remember her giving me a funny look and becoming visibly agitated.  We headed out in to the hallway at which point I distinctly remember seeing her fading in to the crowd of children while checking over her shoulder to see if i was still stalking her.  At this point I realized she was trying to lose me and I had forgotten all the other faces from my neighborhood. 

She did end up getting away from me, I searched for her frantically until the buses started to leave at which point i think i bust in to tears and the assistant principal had to take me inside and call my mom to come pick me up. 

I guess if i were as brave as that random guy i would have just said, "you know, I don't know what bus i'm supposed to get on, so instead i'll just go walk on to every bus until i figure it out".

sound logic

No comments:

Post a Comment