Tuesday, September 28, 2010

the woman of the wind

After the play meghan walked me back to the UES.  I told her I was probably more scared of walking through central park with her than without her as I figure more people would take me out to mess with her than would really care about me by myself.

But meghan said, "don't worry, it will be fine".  Famous last words.

No sooner had we started  up the hill to the reservoir and we saw the woman of the wind.  Well, there was much debate about it being a woman or a man, but woman of the wind sounds better.  It was a particularly windy night in Central Park and he/she was walking around the reservoir (barefoot) and when the wind would blow particularly strong he/she would stop, lift his/her hands over his/her head, and have their own silent prayer ritual to the wind, looking not unlike rose without her jack on the helm of the titanic.

When he/she spotted us he/she kind of looked embarrassed and hurried off down the path.  But we still ended up catching back up to him/her in the middle of another wind dance and chased him/her away again.  I don't know what he/she was expecting, we were walking around the reservoir, we were eventually going to catch up to him as long as he stayed on the circle.

I guess the hippie in me can understand this persons need to enjoy as much nature as possible when you live in the middle of the concrete jungle, but stumbling upon them in the dark of night was kind of disturbing.  Maybe the pre-show birthday drinks hadn't worn off, maybe we were still in a haze from having just seen a man in a loin cloth and a woman in tattered rags pretend to have sex on a stage not four feet away, who knows.

The point is I'm afraid we've angered the woman of the wind.  I guess as long as she doesn't bring the Lady of the Lake in to this we'll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment