Thursday, September 23, 2010

dream over

When I got to the laundry place this morning it had a "back in 20" sign up in the window so I found myself chilling on 95th St.  If it hadn't been for this moment of respite I probably wouldn't have noticed the painting going on across the street. 

To explain, there is an artist who does graffiti all over nyc, mostly on the upper east side that usually looks like some variation of this:

He will tag just about anything, usually his drawing will be more elaborate if he has the time, otherwise it will just be a quick doodle like this.  It usually shows two fish jumping out of two different bowls and coming together to kiss.

Well I didn't even realize at first but this was one of those murals and these guys were painting over it!  It made me kind of irrationally upset.  I mean the mural isn't really all that great, featuring these weirdos:

and this strange man in the corner that the painters decided to leave, i guess they are saving him for the very last?
At first I was mad at the guys painting, I wanted to be like, "how can you paint over a beautiful inspirational mural"?  but then I noticed that they had left certain things intact, like the fish bowl and that guy.  I started feeling like maybe they were begrudginly painting over it, and that they too felt bad about whitewashing the dream. 

So who authorized this?  Why are we not allowed to have anything colorful or creative in our neighborhood?  Only construction.  I guess maybe they are painting over it and then will do something new on top of it, but I find that highly unlikely.  It's more likely that people will just write hateful graffiti on the fresh new white wall. 

Either way I was happy that I got to catch it being covered up so I could immortilize this artists work in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment