Saturday, January 7, 2012

this bothers me


Why is it in quotes?!

This is a sign at the bottom of the metal grating that comes down over the entrance to our store when we're closed.  Every night I work I look at this sign and try to figure out why it would be in quotes.

Yeah ok, sure guys, ::air quotes:: this grille to remain unlocked during occupancy ::air quotes::

or is it like they know it's silly but they're just passing along orders from a higher authority who, while quoted, shall remain anonymous.

Either way it drives me nuts.

 On a seemingly unrelated note I want to talk about yuck words.  Some of you may know about yuck words, some of you may not.  Yuck words were words we weren't allowed to use in any writing assignments during sixth and seventh grade.  I can honestly only remember one, "a lot" which I know I use way too often.  But every once in a while I will remember that it's a yuck word, like just now.

I originally had my title as, "this bothers me a lot" but upon remembering that a lot is superfluous I removed it.  I have to say, it's so much better.  Now I feel like I want to remember all the yuck words.

If any of you remember any of them please tell me what they were.  I'd appreciate it...a lot...

1 comment:

  1. all i can remember is "nice" "good" and "bad."

    my life is rife with yuck words.

    ReplyDelete