Wednesday, August 31, 2011

dramatic sunset


When I first got out to Siesta last night I wasn't sure if I would get much of a sunset at all because of the cloud cover.  But clouds can also make for amazing sunsets so I felt it could go either way.


It ended up being an extremely dynamic sky last night.  I probably took about 50 photographs and almost every one is completely different from the ones taken before and after.  I picked out what I think are the best of the night, and the best representation of the sunset.

It started out cool calm and collected but it wasn't long before the sun broke through the clouds and started to make it's final descent.


I really like the water's edge where it gets that pretty reflection.

It took maybe 30 seconds for the sun to break through the clouds entirely and suddenly become this brilliant light in the sky.


It felt very "walk in to the light", or like the end of Hocus Pocus.  So bright!


I mean who saw that coming?  Not me, that's for sure.  After marveling at this for a few minutes I continued on, thinking the sky had shown me all it's splendor for the evening.

I was wrong, it continued even after the sun had passed the horizon, or the horizon clouds anyways.


It was like a little encore presentation.  I especially liked the clouds trailing off to the right that look straight out of fantasia or something.

And the colors.  Oh the colors were brilliant.


As usual this hardly does it justice.  I swear there was a swath of emerald green going through the middle .  I mean, how can you argue with a sunset like that?  You just can't.

And as quietly as it started, the sunset ended.  It was like a closure sunset.


I can leave Sarasota today content with these being the images in my mind.  I am still trying not to jinx myself, I will believe it when it all happens, but I should hopefully be moving onwards and upwards today.  For now I've got to wrangle that bad cat and all his accoutrements.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! But I'm pretty creeped out by the number of birds flying in pic 4. And pic 7 is my desktop background now. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I thought the birds were cool, I was trying to make sure I got them in the picture, but I guess I can see how it looks a little terrifying now. They seemed less swarm-like in person

    ReplyDelete