Saturday, July 9, 2011

so much for my vintage roadster


Well Andrew, you're off the hook, now there are two people that have done worse damage to my car than you.


So there I was, cruising down the scenic winding road, just about to turn off to be home safe and sound. The breeze was blowing, "I Want You" was playing on my ipod, life was good.

Suddenly I noticed that the traffic coming in the opposite direction was stopped and I seemed to be seeing brake lights up ahead of me.  I can't really see a lot as the car in front of me is some large obnoxious SUV, but they are certainly not slowing down or stopping, though they did seem to weave just a bit for a moment.  I didn't have long to wonder why as out from underneath their car emerged the largest snapping turtle I have ever seen in my life.  I swear it looked me right in the eye as it reared it's ugly head, daring me to hit him.

I was too afraid.  I slammed on my breaks coming to a stop just inches away from him, not unlike in some BMW commercial or something.  Of course in the BMW commercial the shiny black convertible doesn't get rear ended...twice...

The car immediately behind me slammed on their breaks and swerved to the right, hitting the back right corner of my car before jumping the curb.  The car behind them swerved to the left, missing the Jetta, but clipping the back left corner of my car.

You also might not have noticed that he managed to snag the back tire, pulling it out of alignment.  Here's a better picture:


Of course, initially we are all walking around our cars making sure everyone is ok and trying to avoid the snapping turtle who is STILL THERE SNARLING AND SNAPPING AT US.  I mean come on, I just saved your life at the cost of my car having all original parts, the least you can do is chill out.  He did eventually crawl to safety and we were all left to deal with the repercussions.  Both of the other drivers were able to drive away while I had to watch my car get loaded on to the back of a flatbed.  I did feel bad though when the girl who owned the Jetta said, "it's my birthday".

I would say the worst part was actually when the flatbed truck passed me later in traffic and I saw my car yet again, completely perfect and beautiful in the front, and totally mangled in the back.


I'm crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment