Friday, July 8, 2011

she's good



Thank you Jonathan for sending this to me, it definitely brought a smile to my face on this rainy morning.

I like her Mariah a lot.  First of all, the lip synching is on point, not to mention the styling.  There is just something that's a little off about it and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  It's something in the eyes.

At first I was going to say that she looks like she's trying a little too hard, Mariah usually makes it look effortless, but that's not entirely true because Mariah will certainly break out the dramatics, especially for a high note, which is where this chick does it perfectly.

Then I figured it out.  I was reminded of a post I did last year about how I like to watch videos of old Mariah before she had the confidence of being the number one selling artist of all time.  It's all in the eyes, and that's what this drag queen is missing.  Her Mariah is kind of all over the place, it's like a culmination of two decades worth of Mariah but looking like vintage 90's Mariah.

Where is the look of sheer terror moments before singing the high notes?  Where is the awkward shuffling back and forth during the musical interludes?  Where are the moments when she remembers she should look out at people in the audience and point to them?  These are the hallmarks of old school Mariah, followed of course by flawless vocal delivery that makes you wonder why she was so nervous in the first place.

So, for your viewing pleasure, I present to you the clip I posted last year, that remains one of my favorite videos of her:

1 comment: