Saturday, July 23, 2011

a nice nice guy


Last night I met Karla downtown for drag queen bingo at the golden apple, which was an experience all its own.  The best part as far as I was concerned was this nice guy, trey.  Karla is training him to be a seeing eye dog so she said she has to take him out to places so he gets used to being in all kinds of different environments without getting freaked out.  He certainly seemed confused by the drag queens, but who wasn't.

At least he had his special little vest on so people realized what the deal was.


Puppy in training!  It's really quite fascinating to learn what all Karla has to do with him to prepare him for his life as a seeing eye dog.  At intermission when we took him out to "make busy" Karla explained that she has to stand still and he is allowed to walk around her in circles until he decides to go to the bathroom, but she can't walk him around because blind people wouldn't walk their dog around a park to find somewhere to "make busy".  It makes sense but never occurred to me.

The saddest thing is that she said Trey has to be conditioned not to run because he obviously wouldn't be running with a blind person.  I felt bad but Karla reminded me that he was a dog called to a higher purpose.  It's kind of like how maybe sometimes Mariah doesn't want to sing, but she does because she realizes that her gift needs to be shared with the world.

Of course having Trey with us meant constant attention from everyone, which was fun too.  If it weren't for the fact that Karla only gets to keep Trey for a year before she has to give him up I would say I want to do something like this too.  I just think I would get too attached.  Well that and I wouldn't be able to stop a dog from running and playing.  Karla, you're a better person than I.

I think Trey is almost ready for his calling, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Trey will fail guide dog school and get to be a real dog for once. And I always appreciate a good Mariahnalogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you bringing "mariahnalogy" in to my vernacular

    ReplyDelete