Wednesday, July 6, 2011

ladies and gentlemen, this is niagara falls


Yesterday Dan took me to do the one thing that I've been most excited about regarding my visit to Buffalo; took me to Niagara falls.

I had been here at some point as a child but really don't remember it too well.  I also think I was here at some point in the winter which would have made it a completely different experience.


Yesterday basically could not have been a more beautiful day.  And it was just the right temperature that you didn't mind getting spritzed by the falls.


And oh was there spritzing.  I asked Dan if I really needed to wear the oversized poncho to which he just laughed and said, "well that's up to you I guess".


I thought it was going to be more like splash mountain.  You know, the occasional blast of water but generally controlled.  I guess it's really more like a giant waterfall that is constantly dumping thousands of gallons of water on to the heads of the passerby's at the base.


It really is quite incredible though.  I mean it's just so much water!


Dan's experience with Niagara Falls is not unlike my experience with Fort Sumter in that he had to come here every year in school on field trips so he knows it like the back of his hand.  Of course this made him the best tour guide, leading us to all the hot spots while avoiding the riff raff.


And against my protests he also forced me to take a tour on the boat.


I just really don't like lots of people in a confined space so I was wary of this endeavor, but once we were on the boat and going past the falls I understood why it was very necessary.


When you are looking down from above you are more struck by the height and the feeling of vertigo.  When you are looking up from the bottom you are more overwhelmed by the sheer force of the water pouring over the edge.


I described it as "dramatic" which Dan said was an apt description.

I'm pleased with myself for managing to get some pictures while at the same time neither dropping my phone in the water, nor getting it soaked by the mist.  I'm also just glad that I got any pictures at all since 75% of the ones I took came out like this:


So much mist!

I think I've seen all Buffalo has to offer now, not sure what today holds in store for Dan and me.  I figure Dan will want to go out in search of Ralphie at some point.

Me:  Oh it's happy hour now?  What does that mean?

Ralphie:  It's the time, usually before like 9:00pm when a bar will have drink specials, or two for one deals or something.

Me:  ...Yeah, I know what happy hour is in general, I meant what is it here?

Ralphie:  Oh, well it's going on right now and it means that some drinks are going to be cheaper than others.

So helpful Ralphie.

No comments:

Post a Comment