Saturday, November 19, 2011

an average date with me



So Kim and Ariel want to come visit in January which I am very excited about but I was thinking last night as I was driving home that neither of them has really ridden in a car with me.  Ariel rode to ikea in my grandfather's minivan with me when I first moved in with them but otherwise they haven't had the experience.

I feel like Kim being from ny will be able to handle my driving as she is accustomed to cab drivers but it seems to unnerve people when they are in my car with the top down and they can see swift death approaching them with nothing in between them and the other vehicles but a door.

Everyone has their different coping mechanisms for riding with me.  Scott used to just slump down in the passenger seat with a scowl on his face like he was preparing for death, Joel does the grabbing on to the door handle while bracing his feet against the floor as if pressing an imaginary brake peddle.  Jonathan tends to just screech at me and hit me like an old hispanic lady.

But the point is, like in grand theft auto, even if my car is covered in blood by the end of the journey you had a good time and I got you where you needed to go.  In fact, after all of Joel's bitching the other day he actually commented that I got him to a bathroom quicker than he would have been able to.  So maybe I increased his likelihood of peeing his pants, but he didn't, I got him there, everything was fine.

It's why I can't wait for Meghan to come visit, she is my perfect passenger.  Meghan and I can have an in depth philosophical conversation as calm as clams while I'm zipping in and out of lanes, the speedometer creeping ever closer to the killing speed.  And she does it all with the grace and dignity of a passenger in a video game.

So hurry up and get down here Meghan!  I'm actually off to clean my car in a minute, just in case you show up at my door unexpectedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment