Saturday, May 28, 2011

lake lure; it begins



After an only slightly harrowing drive up to NC, we finally made it to Lake Lure, as seen here from the upstairs deck.  Our first order of business was unpacking and organizing our lodgings.  Thankfully Dan had made a flow chart for the week which made our task much easier.

After shelter was accounted for we headed to the grocery store for some:


Little did we know that the sweetest goods were waiting for us in the checkout lane, and their names were Brooke and Hannah.  And to think we almost went to self check out!  Thankfully Dan came to his senses and, after surveying the options, decided on lane 3, manned by ri-riHANNAH.  No sooner had we gotten to her lane than Brooke came over, sensing we needed a healthy dose of her comic stylings.

"hooray, I won a shit ton of kale" -Brooke.

Upon returning to the lake we found ourselves unsure of what to do.  Because of weather issues there were several flight delays and cancellations for the rest of our party who were to arrive last night.  We ended up staying close to the phone, keeping track of who was where and when they would need to be picked up.

Of course the most obvious thing to do when you don't know what else to do is blow bubbles.  At Dan's insistence, here is a photo series I have entitled, "bubbles at lake lure"









I did eventually convince everyone that we should at least jump off the top of the boat house.  A lake lure tradition:



The thing about this situation is that it is it looks so unassuming.  I mean, people go jumping off cliffs so it's not like it's really that big a deal to jump off the top of a one story boat house right?  And yet when you're actually standing at the edge looking down it seems like the water is a million miles away.

And when you do finally jump the fall is just long enough to make you wonder why you thought it would be a good idea to jump off the roof in the first place.  Then there's the lady of the lake, don't even get me started on the lady of the lake.  I will tell you all about it when the time is right.

I think the jump in the lake did motivate us a little though as we did end up taking the boat out for a sunset tour.  It was really nice, and quite satisfying.  I had no regrets about coming home and passing out.



can you blame me?


When I started writing this post I heard the pitter patter of tiny feet upstairs above me.  Now I hear the gentle sounds of andrew playing the recorder, I guess that means it's time for Lake Lure; day two...

1 comment:

  1. Toesssss! And bubbles. My whole day just got better.

    ReplyDelete