Tuesday, December 7, 2010

why even bother?



This clip is kind of brilliant for what I wanted to post about because it happened by chance but features two people I was going to talk about.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself, let me start at the beginning.

So I was watching reruns of Law and Order SVU earlier and had it in the back of my mind that the marathon ended at 11, perfect timing for the daily show/colbert report block.  I wasn't really paying attention because it was the episode with the gay poker/sex club that makes me uncomfortable because I always end up trying to imagine what them having sex would be like.  I mean seriously?  The guy with the beard?  Blech.  But that's neither here nor there.  The point is that I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden realized that I was watching "Psych", which meant that it was past 11.

Since I'm still not used to our new cable provider I have to manually switch through the channels until I find what I'm looking for.  As I was clicking through all of the other things that come on at 11:00 I found myself pondering something that I've pondered many times before.

Why would anybody even bother trying to have a show against the kings of TV?

There are three hours that I would never want my tv show to be aired.  11:00 am, 4:00 pm, and 11:00 pm.  Although to be fair, Oprah is going off the air after this season, though I still wouldn't want to go up against Ellen.

Which brings me to why the above clip is so perfect.  When the new Conan show was announced the first thing I thought was, "why on earth would he go up against the daily show?".  I feel like they appeal to the same demographic, but while I think that Conan is really funny, I actually appreciate that they cover real news topics on the Daily Show, thus my tv is always set to Comedy Central between the hours of 11 and 12.  Similarly, why would you ever watch anything besides Oprah between the hours of 4 and 5?  I mean what else is there?  Judge Judy?  I know it's Ariel's favorite show but it's no competition for the big O.

So anyways when I was trying to figure out what image I could use for this post that I wanted to do I remembered seeing this Oprah bee clip somewhere and went on the hunt.  I actually had no idea that it was from the Conan show when I went searching for it.  It's pretty incredible that I was able to tie in two of the people I wanted to write about anyways so seamlessly.

It's like it was meant to be.  That's the best kind of post.

No comments:

Post a Comment