Monday, December 13, 2010

windows


First of all let me say that all I could think while I looked at the bergdorf windows was, "GAGA OOH LA LA"


I don't know if it's just that i'm conditioned to see crazy outfits and think gaga or if there actually is a relationship but it's all I could think.

Anyways, the point is, Laura is in town for business/her birthday and today she had the whole day to herself.  I met up with her for a really nice breakfast, followed by a walk through Central Park on our way to see the windows.

I'm really really glad that we could do this, seeing the windows is one of my favorite favorite things to do in NY.  One of my favorite things in the world is when somebody with an incredible creative vision is given the opportunity to make that vision come to life.  It's why I will defend The Lion King on broadway to the death, because I just think it's incredible to see what Julie Taymor was able to do when given a blank check.

And that's what the windows remind me of.  I can't imagine what it would be like to be given this little nook on 5th ave and told that you can do whatever you want with it.  And to be given the most amazing couture gowns to work with too?  Outrageous.


I know the pictures are kinda hard to see, I was limited to snapping shots in between obnoxious people standing in my way.


There was a whole map theme at Bergdorf's, this handsome guy was made completely from shredded maps!


Though we actually did walk all over looking at windows I only really took pictures of Bergdorf's, mostly because they are always my favorite.  A lot of the other stores on 5th do themed windows that are hit or miss, but Bergdorf's always just does fantastical magical over the top windows that are impossible to not impress.

I would love to meet one of the designers and get to pick their brain about every step of the process.  I'd love to see their original vision compared to the final result.  I'd love to ask them about how much liberty they were given and how much they were expected to color in the lines.  I wonder if they're given free reign to pick the AMAZING dresses that they use or if they are given the dresses and told to build the window around it.

So many questions!!!

I think this window was my favorite:


Because it's amazing, and also because it immediately made me think of this which I would LOVE to see.  It also gave me a christina aguilera vibe, circa her back to basics album.

I did take a picture of this window at Barney's because it filled Laura with the rage of a thousand suns:


Barney's did a whole food theme to their windows this year and featured these gross caricatures of food network personalities.  Laura found issue with the fact that Sandra Lee was featured so prominently, even after I explained that she's the new first lady of New York.  She felt that it wasn't justification enough.

"She is not a food celebrity, she opens cans of soup"

I don't care what Laura says, I still love Sandra Lee.  Anybody who plans a child's birthday party around drinking is A-OK in my book.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment