Thursday, December 2, 2010

no phone zone


There were better pictures pertaining to her no phone zone pledge but once i saw this one i couldn't resist.

My phone was supposed to be here yesterday.  Still no sign of it.  According to the UPS tracking number it is en route, yet I still have seen hide nor hair.

It's funny how in a lot of ways I don't miss my phone.  There are definitely times when I notice that it's not there.  I do the triple tap periodically throughout my day; right pocket for keys, left pocket for cell phone, back pocket for wallet.  I definitely catch myself each time when I tap my left pocket only to feel my own supple thigh.

and I miss having something to distract myself with when I need to feel important, but otherwise it's been very liberating to be unreachable.  Or to know that the people who really need to get in contact with me will figure out a way.

However, I was not prepared for those things that you cannot prepare for.  Things like this morning when, for the first time since I lost my phone, I actually needed to wake up at a specific time.  Not only do we not have an alarm clock in our entire apt I came to realize, we don't even have a clock.  I had to set my internal alarm clock last night and then rely on that and those two horrible cats to get me up in time for work.

Or at work today when I was trying to plan out the events of the next month and I went to look at the calendar on my phone.  Oops, no phone.  I seriously couldn't figure out a way to find a calendar.  I tried google searching for calendars and it literally drove me to the point of tears.  One of my coworkers finally pulled up a calendar on his phone and gave it to me to use.

And then there's the moment that I just had now that I'm home.  It's pretty cold in nyc right now so as I headed to the subway from work I just kept thinking how nice it would be to get home.  I considered stopping on the way home and picking up food, or stopping at the grocery store, but even taking those extra moments to be outside sounded terrible to me.  All I wanted to do was be home, and I had one of those, 'good thing I live in nyc' moments when I decided that I would just order take out.

fuck you guy that picked up my phone and then took it with him on vacation.

It literally wasn't until I had the whole stack of menus in front of me that I realized I had no way to call them.  So I guess it will be dinner of the leftover boxes of pasta and the half liter of jim beam in the freezer for me.

1 comment: