Tuesday, November 16, 2010

they're very health conscious in l.a.


bonus points if you know what movie the title of my post is from.

Apparently L.A. has banned plastic bags.  I'm unclear if it is related to this woman or not but I love her. 

That's totally cool that they did this.  Plastic bags are so gross.  The last time I was in Florida I was at the grocery store buying fruit and shit and I go up to the checkout and get behind the grossest guy ever.  He literally had a towering stack of steaks piled on the conveyor belt along with various other meat related cook out things.  I watched as the check out girl scanned each package of steaks and the numbers on the screen climbed up to the multi-hundreds.  When everything had finally been rung up he nodded approvingly to the offer of plastic bags and I watched as they wrapped each steak container in a plastic bag, then put them in additional plastic bags. 

I felt like I could feel the earth growing warmer as this man went through the checkout.  I also felt like I was in a prius in traffic next to hummer sitting behind him with my mango, papaya, strawberries, and reusable bags. 

I miss paper bags, why did those go by the wayside anyways?  They have such a satisfying smell, and they're so much easier to fold and store than plastic bags.  And I feel like walking out of a grocery store with plastic bags makes you look like a pack mule, but sashaying down the street with your brown sack with the fennel and baguette poking out the top says, "hey look at me, I'm just like Sigourney Weaver in Ghostbusters"

So I guess what i'm saying is way to go L.A.  I wish I could live in your beautiful bag free county.

No comments:

Post a Comment