Sunday, November 14, 2010

magical dream date


I was supposed to be taking Amy out for a magical dreamdate on saturday night, but it was she who swept me off my feet.

We met up in the west village and started our evening at Taim.  I was not prepared for how warm it was going to be yesterday so I was way overdressed.  The ginger lemonade was exactly what I needed.

After filling ourselves with middle eastern deliciousness we went to the theatre to pick up our tickets but then still had an hour to kill before the performance.  While wandering through the west village we came upon One if by Land, Two if by Sea, pictured above.  It was so beautiful, it made me want to come back in some alternate reality where i'd actually be able to afford to eat there.  But I did have one of the best cocktails i've ever had.  They call it a "darker and stormier", it's on their seasonal fall drink menu list and contains muddled blackberries.

Being at the restaurant we had to discuss what the name meant.  "something from a poem maybe?" "Something about warning people".  Well we were close (not really).  It's from a Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem about the midnight ride of Paul Revere and how they would signal with a lantern to spread the word.  I had to look it up.  But what struck me was that just the other day when we were in the Met walking around waiting for Meghan we walked right past this painting:


Is it a sign?  Or does there need to be a third Paul Revere reference in my life?  That's how it works right, threes?  Alright well I'll keep a vigilant watch, not unlike those townfolk.  I've got my eye on you Paul Revere.

Anyways, back to the dreamdate.

My drink was the perfect thing to have before settling in to my theatre seat.  The play was interesting.  It's been really weird going to see so much theatre lately after not having gone in so long.  It takes me back.

At this point I would really like to get Amy, Dan, and Meghan together to discuss the plays I've taken them to.  I feel like they've been so incredibly different, and yet at the same time so alike.  I only wish I could take them, and everyone, to see "Three Eco Friendly Self Propelled Clowns" but until somebody wants to do a revival it will just have to live on in the memories of those of us blessed enough to have been in the audience.

I like this idea of the theatre dream date.  Maybe it will be my thing.  Like Barbara Walters most fascinating people.

No comments:

Post a Comment