Tuesday, November 30, 2010

the story

it's times like this that i'm glad to have a blog because i've reached the end of my tolerance for telling this story so I'm glad to document it here and be able to refer others to it in the future. 

So here is the story of how I lost my cellphone:

One night my brother and I were playing this for like 8 straight hours when in the middle of it he asked if I wanted to go for a moonlit stroll. 

All was well at first, we went to one of our favorite spots by a relaxing fountain my dad's condo complex.  I drew an overhead view so you can get a better idea:


the arrow is pointing to the bench where we sat for a few moments so my brother could play me a song on his magical flute.  See it's the perfect spot for it because you can see down either path through the foliage before whoever is coming sees you first. 

And everything worked according to plan until after my brother played the magic flute that transported him to world 8, a world of paranoia. 

Some old lady, who was basically like if the bird lady from home alone 2 had decided to retire to florida instead of living above the metropolitan opera, was just taking her own moonlit stroll but struck terror in to my brothers heart.  Promptly after she shuffled around the corner he looked at me wild eyed and said, "we gotta get out of here!"

He was so frantic about leaving that I didn't even realize that I had left my phone on the bench (as seen above).  It wasn't until an hour or so later when he was leaving that I realized I didn't have it.  I looked all around the house for it, and even went all the way back out to the fountain to see if I had left it out there but didn't find it.  When I got back to my dad's I booted up his computer so I could sign in to aim and ask jonathan to call my phone.  I figured I had just put it somewhere stupid like in the refrigerator.  Like you haven't done the same thing.

So now Jonathan is calling my phone and I'm wandering around the house, straining to hear Mariah's sweet siren song.  I finally give up and go back to the computer to find a message from Jon saying, "they answered". 

Apparently somebody had picked up my phone in the few moments that it had been sitting out there.  He told Jon that he would drop it off at the office for my Dad's complex the next morning.  I assumed that this person must have known that there would be somebody there so I just went to bed and thought nothing of it. 

The next morning I go to the office and it's all closed up for the holidays.  'Hmmm' I thought to myself.  Well, if they answered last night, surely they'll answer again today.  Nope.

I, along with all of the rest of my family, ended up calling my phone every 10 minutes for the entire next day until finally it ran out of battery and just died.  The only thing I can figure is that this person must have dropped my phone through the mail slot of the office door and it was just sitting there on the floor and I wouldn't be able to get it until monday morning. 

So I postpone my return to NY, thinking, 'well i guess i'll just wait until monday morning, get my phone from the office, then head straight to the airport'.  Cut to Monday morning, and oh, no cell phone in the office. 

It wasn't until today that my phone was finally returned to my father, and he is mailing it up here to me.  The guy goes, "oh yeah, sorry, I went out of town and just brought it with me, I don't know why".

Ummmm ok, helpful.  Like why even get involved?!  Why not leave the cell phone on the bench, at least it would have ended up in more capable hands.  And if you knew how to answer it that first time why didn't you answer it any of the other times I called?  Why go through the trouble of starting the process of being a good Samaritan, but then kind of just get bored and forget all about it. 

See this is the problem with old people.  I think NASA is on to something, lets just send them all to the moon to start colonizing it there.  It will be like the new Boca. 

No comments:

Post a Comment