Sunday, November 7, 2010

a day of museums and learning


Should I know what this is?  I feel like I should, or that I've at least seen it before and pondered what it means.  It's at the corner of 6th Ave and Spring St, where I met Meghan.  We both commented on it.

"I just got out of the subway, i'm standing under god's love we deliver"

"i see you"

Meghan hypothesized that it was a post office, which doesn't make much sense to me.   I feel like as much as the boundaries of separation of church and state are stretched this would just be pushing it a little too far.  Though there is a subway entrance within the building, so maybe she's right.

We met to go to an art show that Meghan had read about being held off Spring St. far on the west side.  The artist was Jan Yoors who I had never heard of but thought sounded interesting.

It was definitely interesting.  We weren't quite sure where we were or what we were seeing.  The space was two floors that were basically set up like somebody's apartment.  Like we had to be buzzed in by this man and then wandered around what seemed to be his personal apartment with some pieces by the artist hanging on the walls.  The furniture was actually really beautiful anyways so it wasn't a total loss, but not quite the art gallery afternoon I had in mind.

After we left we were just wandering through the West Village and meghan stopped because she wanted to find the article about the exhibit that she had seen earlier.  She said the pictures did not make it look like it was going to be held in an apt.  While she searched through her phone I looked around at where we were and noticed that we were right in front of the New York City Fire Museum.  To be honest I wasn't really interested in going inside, more just interested in the fact that it existed, but once the seed was planted in Meghan's head there was no turning back.

I will say that I definitely learned a few things while I was there.  They had a whole section devoted to 9/11 that was really interesting, and then lots of paraphernalia of firefighting from the past like 200 years or so.

But the real treasure trove was found upstairs.

Including this ribbon, that I wanted to steal so badly:


But I think the cherry on top was when we stumbled upon these old depictions of Nathanael from when he was a vaudeville performer.  I mean the physical resemblance is uncanny but then we read the captions and we realized there was no other options.  I beg anyone out there on the internet to disagree:



At this point I was on an emotional roller coaster and realized I needed to calm my nerves with some delicious brunch.  What I didn't realize was that the answer to all my problems lay in a plate of fried bread.  Thankfully we had wound our way through the west village and ended up at Jane's where I got the vanilla bean french toast and all was well.

There were a lot of things on the menu that looked amazing.  They made claim to having "the best bloody mary" which neither meghan nor I tried, but gives us reason to go back.

Once we were filled to capacity on deliciousness we headed up to the Met.  Meghan was going to the patti smith khubilai khan thing but had time to kill before so we wandered around the museum.  As much as everyone always says it, it really is true that you can spend all the time in the world in the Met and never see everything.  I have lived on the upper east side for 7+ years now and in all the times I've gone to the Met there were still a ton of things Meghan showed me that I hadn't noticed.

Including this urn from some ridiculous time like 1B.C.:


Those are actually remains in that urn.  And it's not even really showcased.  They mention it on the information card but other than that its just another funerary urn in this one display case.  I wonder who it is.

We also walked through the Khubilai Khan exhibit and the John Baldessari exhibit, though I was beginning to get a bit cultured out.  After meghan got her ticket for the thing with patti smith we went to one of our favorite spots to sit and chat until it started:


It's days like this new york, it's days like this that make me not know how to quit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment