Thursday, November 18, 2010

a post for lilly


I sat at work all day and played this and thought about how I had nothing at all to write about today.

But I had completely forgotten about this morning when I got to the 96th St. 6 station.  There was a river flowing between the tracks that immediately made me think of my friend, who was a writer for the NY Times.

As soon as I saw the flowing water I broke out in the biggest grin.  I was excitedly scanning the river for signs of life but quickly became ill from the amount of gross garbage I saw instead.  I feel like I haven't been eating particularly well lately and the culmination of all my bad food choices along with floating garbage was too much for me.

But before I was overcome with the urge to vomit I was having really fond thoughts of you Lilly!

And to think that I almost forgot all about this.  I was actually downloading my pictures because I wanted to post these nice ghosties I saw on my walk home:



At first they just made me smile because they're funny and nice but then as I was walking past I realized the true genius that is the big one's crazy mouth:


It was like a section of the wall that had missing bricks and they turned it in to his crazy smile.  I love it.  It also raises many questions in my mind.  Like it seems like the addition of the ghost features was an afterthought, perhaps by a different artist altogether.  It doesn't look like the same paint as the swirly pattern, as if somebody saw the white shapes and thought that the really looked like ghosts and needed to be painted thusly.  In which case the mouth is really a brilliant touch.

The only alternative that I can see would be that the original artist had planned the ghosts from the beginning in which case it seems like all of that patter around it was based entirely on the sight gag of the crazy snaggle tooth mouth.

Either way, I love it.

And I got this post in before midnight!

::wipes sweat off brow::

No comments:

Post a Comment