Wednesday, January 26, 2011

tornado safe


The past few days I've been at my dad's a lot painting his bathroom.  Long story, it was horrible, the end.

Anyways yesterday when we were on our way back from Home Depot for the second time the skies opened up and unleashed their fury.  I guess it's been a while since I've spent a winter in Florida but I only remember it raining like that in the summer.  I mean it was a torrential downpour.  I was eager to get back, finish painting, and get home for several reasons.  Mostly I was curious to see if my roof leaked or not.  It rained decently hard right after I got my car and the roof leaked right where the window rolls up in to the rubber lining around the door.  You could see that there was a place where the rubber was torn so I figured that's where it was and pointed it out to them when they were fixing everything else that was broken.  So this was the first time that it had rained hard again and I was anxious to make sure the job worked.  I also wanted to get home before the weather got any worse because that car does not handle puddles well at all.  It actually makes me kind of nervous for the summer, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Of course the roof still leaked all the way home.  I also noticed that the passenger side leaks in the same exact place, so I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with anything besides the roof being janky.  It did seem to let up after a while of driving so I thought maybe it was just all the water that came in when I opened the door to get in but then why would the passenger side have had a drip in the same place when I hadn't opened it all day?  Janky.

But back to the point.  I finished at my dad's and then hurried out and headed home.  Apparently shortly after I left my father saw on the news that there was a tornado warning in effect for the next several hours and they were telling people not only to stay off the roads but to stay away from the windows in their homes!  I of course missed all this because I was talking on the phone with Jon the whole way home.  So I walk through the kitchen door and find the detective laying here.  I could not figure out what his deal was until I saw the texts on my phone and realized that he must have sensed the tornado and was trying to go somewhere he thought was safe?  Scott said that the kitchen is the safest room in the house because it's completely enclosed by heavy brick, and that he must have just been trying to get as low as possible in there.

But I mean really kitty?  Your head barely fits under there and your entire backside is just hanging out in the open.  I think this would be the perfect example of how sometimes he's just a little dramatic.  Yes, there was a lot of rain and lightning and thunder, and there was a tornado warning in effect, but Scott and I still went back out and got Chic-Fil-A during all that.  There really was no need for the theatrics.


I guess it's reassuring to know that in the event of another weather emergency he will let us know by acting completely ridiculous.  It's like living with Al Roker.

No comments:

Post a Comment