Monday, January 3, 2011

s'mores


The day after christmas is my fathers birthday and as much as we try to do fun things for it a lot of times we don't plan anything until the last minute.  Like this year.

The one thing my father asked for was for my brother to make a fire in his fireplace.  We came up with the s'mores and roasted chestnuts, and it ended up being really fun.

I mean, when was the last time that you actually had a s'more?  I couldn't think of my last one.  And they are delicious!  Although actually I was plenty happy with just the roasted marshmallows.  And the chestnuts?  Have you ever actually had chestnuts that were roasted over an open fire?  They are amazing!  They kind of have the consistency of bread pudding.  It's very strange and satisfying.  And each one has an entirely different flavor than the one before it.  Some are sweet, some are savory.  Very very strange.

Of course there's always the absurdity of us gathered around the fire in shorts and flip flops on the day after christmas.  Then we all go out and get in our convertibles and roar down the street with the wind in our hair.  That image definitely goes hand in hand with chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment