Monday, January 17, 2011

nice guy


The weather was actually nice enough yesterday that we had a mini beach adventure.  It was my first time taking my new car out to the beach and it was just as enjoyable as I had imagined.

We decided to go to Siesta which of course meant that we attracted a few fans, the first seen above.  I blame the sun chips.  I know I've ranted about how loud the bags are before but they are seriously a problem at the beach.  I mean seagulls are already conditioned to listen for the crinkle of a delicious snack bag but then when you amplify the sound by like 800 times it's just asking for trouble.  At Siesta there is usually one seagull who finds you first and then he defends you from the others.  They will sometimes get dangerously close but for the most part that first seagull will spend his time dancing around and scaring off the others.  I usually make friends with the first one and learn to enjoy his company while keeping a watchful eye.  Much like my relationship with kitty.

Of course this also reminds me of how I almost always get in to a fight with somebody when I'm at Siesta.  When Jon and I were there once we had a similar experience where one seagull was our friend and protected us from the others.  At the very end of the day, after having been there all day with this one seagull friend, we were leaving and I dropped a chip in the sand so I tossed it to him.  Well who should come bounding up, stopping from her jog, but this town and country lockjaw bitch.  She was like a my size barbie.

"Excuse me, hi is it ok if you don't feed the seagulls?  We live in a beach community here and we are trying to discourage people from feeding the seagulls because they eat the eggs of some of the other indigenous birds"

Yes.  You're right, I know I shouldn't feed the seagulls, but you don't need to talk to me like I just landed here fresh from Ontario.  I used my discretion and decided that under the circumstances, I wanted to feed this one particular seagull.  I wasn't like grabbing fistfuls of sunchips and tossing them in to the sky.  And if we really want to split hairs then lets talk about how the beach community that you are a part of is contributing more to the decline of the local wildlife than the seagulls are.

Of course if I had said all that then I would have been no better than her, a nosy parker who likes butting in to other people's lives.  So instead I played dumb and pretended to be from out of town.

And I guess her tirade worked too because the guy pictured above did not get a single sun chip this time. I feel bad, he was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment