Friday, January 21, 2011

beachy keen


I'm running out of titles for my "walking on the beach" posts so I'm going to have to resort to the kinds of tacky sayings featured on gaudy multicolored keychains.  The kind of keychains I would (and do) own.

Anyways I needed to get out of the house yesterday and it was beautiful right around 5 so I decided to drive down to the beach and watch the sunset, yet again.  I had a really nice phone conversation with Jon and while we were talking I found these nice hearts somebody had made.  They remind me of his tattoo.

And I wouldn't have found them either if some crazy lady on an atv hadn't scared me away from my original place, here:



which was beautiful but I ended up being totally pleased with my spot at the end of the island here:


Which had not only the delightful row of seashell hearts (there were more than pictured) but also had the following views:



Does anybody else look out over the vast expanse of ocean and suddenly become overwhelmed with the sensation that we're just on a big rock hurtling around space?  If so, please email me so we can discuss further, because boy did I have a lot to say on the subject last night.

About every twenty minutes between those pictures and sunset everything changed dramatically.  The color of the sun, the colors of the sky and water, the beach, it was wild.  I tried to capture it on my phone camera but didn't really do it justice.



I remember looking at these pictures as I was taking them and thinking about how photography is one of those things that, as much as I enjoy, I will never be any good at.  I mean, I do ok when it's a camera like the one on my phone that is literally just point and click, and when my subject is impossible to mess up.  But when I was actually taking photography classes in college, man did I suck.  The only way I passed that class was by doing copious amounts of extra credit and being a total teachers pet.  I didn't mind though, my teacher was really funny and one of those secret gems.  I actually liked all the fine arts teachers at my college, maybe I should have switched majors.

Oh wait, except that I am terrible at fine art, that's right.  That was the whole point of this rambling.  I mean I would always have really good intentions for my photos but there would always be a glaring technical error, either in the way the picture was taken or the way it was developed.  I spent hours in the photo lab senior year with my hands immersed in the chemical bath.  Oh the chemical bath.  I think my teacher felt bad because she saw how hard I tried and how easily I failed so she ended up giving me an ok grade even though most of my pictures were pretty awful.  I guess that's one of the lessons we learn in life, that sometimes just because you enjoy something doesn't mean you're good at it.

So instead I will just continue to take easy pictures and stick with what I am good at.  Rambling.



At this point I remember being blown away by the thought of how much sky I was looking at the sun through.  I know, make fun of me all you want, but it's true.  I mean really, think about it.  When the sun is directly overhead you are experiencing it through the least amount of space and interference.  When you are looking at it at this extreme an angle you are looking at it through this sky, and all the sky overhead between here and the horizon and then some.  I think this was also somehow tied in to the rock hurtling through space thing.

The point is that the sunset makes me have some crazy thoughts man.

I literally watched until all the light was completely gone, and realized at some point during that I was definitely causing damage to my eyes.  But it was so worth it!  I felt like a nazi looking in to the Ark.  I knew it was wrong, but I just had to see it with my own eyes.

And here it is, no more sun:


the end

No comments:

Post a Comment