Wednesday, January 19, 2011

reflection


Who is this girl I see, staring straight back at me?

I find it impossible to go to the beach at this time of night and not be overcome with the need to be introspective.  I think it has to do with the finality of seeing the sun go down beyond the water.  In the city you only get that good hour when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise you live in a world of shadow save for the glimpses of light you get between the buildings.  I think it adds to the sensation of days just melting together in new york.  Even before the sun sets all the lights come on so you're never really given the chance to experience the daily changes that come with the sun rising and setting.

But here on the beach it's hard to ignore.

Last night there was an old man sitting on the beach on one of those walkers that turns in to a stool.  When we got there he was just sitting and watching the sunset and I kept thinking how classic the scene looked, and wondering what was going through his mind as he watched it.  Did he come out here every day to watch the sunset?  Once a week?  Has he lived here his whole life?  Did he retire here?

When we were on our way back to the car I discovered that the man and his wife had parked right next to us.  He was standing at the open trunk trying to get his walker folded up while she offered encouragement by standing next to him.  As I passed them I noticed the license plate on their car said they were from Alaska.

Totally adds a new dimension to him sitting on the beach watching the sunset.  Funny that I thought maybe he comes out to watch it every day, forgetting that people will drive thousands of miles just to see the sunsets that I could see every day if I wanted.  And I imagine the scope of his reflections would be much greater than mine.

Or maybe he was so doped up on meds that he was just enjoying the colors in the sky and I'm reading way more in to the situation than is there.

Either way it gave me a lot to think about.  It looks like another beautiful day today, hopefully I'll be able to make it to the beach for sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment