Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry


I am liking this new arrangement already.  Meghan is always finding delicious recipes online so I suggested she send me the ones she is unsure of but wants to try and I would experiment on my family with them.

So tonight I made the recipe you can see here for a really simple vegan stir fry.  It was super simple; onions, chickpeas, kale, zucchini, tofu, and lemon.  I was going to do it over quinoa but forgot to get it at the store, so then I was going to do it over brown rice but couldn't find any, so I ended up doing it over wild rice which was good.

I was pleased with this recipe for many reasons.  Mostly just because it was actually delicious, and super easy to make.  But also because it gave me the opportunity to work with ingredients that I love but am not familiar with, like kale.  I've really only prepared kale raw, this was the first time I'd cooked it and it was so so good.

I wish my picture had come out as good as the one on the recipe but it seemed like my tofu fell apart more than his/hers.  Tofu is another ingredient that i'm not terribly familiar with so maybe it's a work in progress.  The important thing is that this recipe met the main requirement that I gave to Meghan; I want a recipe that I can remember after I'm done making it.  I mean this couldn't have been simpler, I don't think I'll ever forget how to whip up this masterpiece at the drop of a hat.

3 comments:

  1. The key to a beautiful stir-fry is a really hot pan or wok. Olive oil (extra virgin, especially) will start smoking before your pan is super hot, so try adding a little oil that's good for frying (peanut, safflower, walnut) to increase the smoke point. That way you can still get the benefits of cooking with olive oil and have a hotter pan.
    A hot pan might help keep your tofu together better, too, but you also might need to press it. At least a half hour before cutting it up, put the tofu on a plate with a folded paper towel or two, place another plate on top of the tofu, and place something moderately heavy (brick, dictionary, vodka bottle, kitty) on top. So, that's plate-towel-tofu-plate-weight. Then you can just pat it dry and dice it as you normally would. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so helpful thank you! And finally, a viable suggestion for what to do with kitty, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should totally have a food blog. But everybody already has one.

    ReplyDelete