Saturday, August 27, 2011

I'd hang out here too


Almost every time I pass this spot that same white bird is standing right there in the middle.  The first few times I saw him I assumed that it was somehow an easy place to catch fish, like bears catching salmon.  I've never seen him act the slightest bit interested in anything in the water however.  From what I can tell he's just standing there zoning out, enjoying the water rushing around his little feet and the gentle gurgling below him.

I tried to get closer to him to take a better picture but I seriously took no more than two steps beyond that picture and he flew away in a panic.  I didn't think I would be so terrifying or I wouldn't have disturbed him and I felt kind of bad.

That is until I passed back by here on my way home and saw that he had returned, with some friends for protection:


I like that they aren't all the same.  More of a ragtag group of street toughs.  To be honest I do think these birds have nerves of steel for hanging out so casually in what is surely alligator infested water.

Apparently I am scarier to a bird than any aquatic reptile.

I'm inclined to accept that.  I can't say I'm getting any argument to the contrary from any other species.

I blame kitty for infecting me with the crazy gene.

No comments:

Post a Comment