Thursday, October 7, 2010

restless night


Our plane landed last night at 12:30am but thanks to a ridiculously tumultuous trip home my head didn't hit the pillow until 3:00 in the morning.  We literally travelled by plane, train, and automobile, and it seemed like every different form of transport was out to get me.  On the plane I was sitting next to an extremely excitable older woman who was watching a baseball game on TV.  Every time i would start to doze off she would start clapping or yelling things at her husband who was sitting across the aisle.  Once off the plane I was expecting to have to wait a while for the trains to come since it was so late at night, but I was not expecting both the AirTran and the E train to just stop for 10-15 minutes at a time in between stations.  When we finally got to Lexington and 51st I couldn't handle being in the subway any longer so we got out and caught a cab.  Thus began the final leg of our journey, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  The driver got on 1st avenue just as the red lights were turning to green and decided he needed to go as fast as he could toward the next red light, then slam on his brakes until it turned green, then floor it again towards the next red light.  I was going to say something but I was afraid if I opened my mouth I would throw up the airport pizza I had had earlier. 

When I finally got home I was of course so tired that I couldn't fall asleep.  I knew I only had a few precious hours until I had to wake up again so of course I had the most stressful and restless sleep ever.  Whenever I have nights like this I always have the craziest dreams.  Last night was no exception.

I dreamt that I was doing a photo shoot with some woman photographer who wanted me posing with a variety of different poisonous snakes.  Before we started she made a big production of milking the venom from the snakes.  She said not to worry, that they may bite me but they wouldn't have any venom to inject so it wouldn't kill me.  We did the photos with the first snake and it went well enough.  I'm not a huge fan of snakes but I'm not deathly afraid of them either.  I kind of just went along with it and forgot the snake was even there.  But then we got to the next snake which was black with yellow and white speckles.  For some reason I remember that the way I was positioned and the way the snake was moving was leading to me possibly irritating the snake.  I was just completely frozen as I could feel this snake getting more and more angry until finally it bit me on the arm.  At this point my muscle memory definitely kicked in because I remember it feeling exactly like it felt when I got those shots a few weeks ago at the clinic.  I mean, it was so real, when I woke up from the dream I still felt like my arm was sore, it wasn't until I was in the shower that the sensation finally went away.  But anyways, in the dream, i'm now sitting there with this snake hanging from my arm and wrapping all around me.  It wasn't that big so it wasn't like a constricting thing, it was more just a gross snake writhing all over my body.  Meanwhile this photographer is cool as a cucumber and says something like, "oh once these guys bite down they never let go, I'll have to try to get him off for you".

First she really casually filled a bowl with warm water and then got a washcloth.  I remember feeling that even in real like I was holding my body completely still, hoping that this snake would just give up and let go of my arm, all the while still feeling that feeling of getting a shot, of having something stuck in the muscle of my arm.  The photographer comes over, dips the washcloth in the warm water, and begins stroking the snake from his head down to his tail, I guess trying to calm him down.  After a while of this not working she says, "i know what to do" and goes to the cupboard and gets a green apple.  She really nonchalantly gets a knife and cuts the apple in half.  She set the one half down and then starts to cut the other half in to segments which she eats, as if I'm not still sitting there with a snake hanging off my arm.  Finally she brings the other half over and sets it down next to me.  After a moment the snake lets go of my arm, slithers over, and bites down in to the apple.  She picks the snake up with the apple and sets it back in to it's tank. 

And then the alarm went off.

What do we think it means?

No comments:

Post a Comment