Wednesday, October 20, 2010

nyc with meg



It's been hard for me to find time lately to see people i want to see, and as it gets colder outside I can feel myself preparing to become a hermit for the winter.  Meghan has been sweet and walked me to work and things like that as a means to see me so on Saturday we planned to hang out for real for reals.  

Our day started with some good old fashioned people watching in Union Square.  I think it's one of the best places to people watch in the city because I feel like it tends to be more new yorkers than tourists.  In front of the Met is always crawling with tourists but there's not really too many reasons why they would make a point to go to union square.  I mean, there's the numbers that don't make sense and the bullet hole that smokes, that's about it.  

But for locals it's a treasure trove.  You get such a fun mixture of new yorkers, from the bouj who shop at whole foods to the fly girls who shop at forever 21.  Sometimes there are farmers markets or tables set up which can be cool, but it's just as fun when nobody is there cause you can sit on the steps and watch people to your hearts content.  

One treasure we found was this guy who was either working at one of these tables or just hanging out with the people who worked there:



So from what we could figure he was basically wearing a floor length skort.  You might have to click on the picture and see it bigger to get better detail but the legs of his pants, while clearly separated at the shoe, are connected only a few inches higher where they become a voluminous skirt.  Now I thought this was awesome and that I bet it was really warm having all that heat caught in there.  Meghan on the other hand said that it seemed like you wouldn't be able to take very long strides and would, rather, have to walk like a geisha.  I don't think that's necessarily true, I imagine they have more stretch than she is giving them credit for.  I mean there is a lot bunched up by the shoe.  I imagine they're more like hammer pants; providing the ultimate mobility with the maximum amount of fabric.  

After people watching we walked down a few blocks and had ramen.  We still hadn't formulated a plan for the day, we thought a good bowl of stew would inspire us.  Apparently all it inspired us to do was eat more.  We decided that the best plan would be to make some kind of fall bounty and watch Hocus Pocus.  

On the way uptown we walked over to the river to enjoy my favorite park in new york city.




The old Carl Shurz.  I've been coming here since I was 19 and lived on 85th St.  I like it for a lot of reasons, but I definitely think the views of the water are a big part of why I'm drawn to it.  There's something so calming about watching the water, especially for somebody from Florida.  I feel like seeing the edge of manhattan like this really puts in to perspective how big and how small the city is.  

We walked the rest of the way uptown by the river, getting home at the perfect time to start carving pumpkins and making rice krispie treats.  I think I've been trying to deny that time is going by so quickly and that it's actually almost halloween, but it was really nice to get in to the spirit of it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment