Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Gramps



When I did a google image search for "91st Birthday" this was one of the first things that came up.  Somebody at Greeting Card Universe is good at their job, of that much we can be certain.

Congratulations Gramps, you made it to 91!  During the past two months when we were all helping out with his doctors appts and whatnot we would frequently be asked to provide his information including date of birth.  It never seemed real when I would say November 9, 1920.  I mean really, 1920?! My grandfather actually remembers when cars were the cool new invention that everybody wanted to have.  And by the car I mean THE car.  Not like the newest model or the fastest hatchback, just the car in general.

It makes me wonder what the world will be like in another 90 years.  I literally can't imagine.

So last year I shared one of my favorite memories of my grandfather, so I'll do the same again this year:

At some point a few summers ago I went over to my grandfather's house to hang out with him.  He has a habit of keeping lists with our names on it and under our names he writes down the things he wants us to help him with.  I actually saw my list before he had a chance to talk to me about it and was confused about why the only thing written under my name was "drip".

I asked my grandfather what the drip was about and he was so excited to get my help with what was apparently a huge issue in his life.  He didn't explain anything to me but just pulled me in to his guest bathroom with him and made me stand with him in silence.  He literally shushed me when I asked him what was going on and pointed ambiguously in to the air saying, "do you hear it?!"

I finally did hear a very faint dripping noise.  This pleased him even more, I think he was worried that he was going crazy, but what he wanted was to find the source of the dripping.  His theory was that it was somehow associated with the toilet but he explained, "it doesn't make sense because the dripping is very consistent early in the morning but then dies down as the day goes on".  I used my super sleuth skills to glance around the bathroom while he was talking and noticed that the window was open.  I looked out the window and saw what I figured I would see, a bucket my grandfather had put under the gutter to collect rain water.  Apparently the morning dew would run off the roof and down the gutter, dripping in to the bucket.

There have only been a few times that I have seen my grandfather as happy as he was when I pointed out the source of the dripping.  He hugged me in sheer joy.  And this is actually a pretty good example of my grandfather's attitude in general.  One might describe him as a bit of a drama queen.

So in case you were wondering where I got it from...

Happy Birthday Gramps!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment