Wednesday, March 16, 2011

uh oh


So lately I thought I was hearing phantom cat cries, you know like when you think you hear your text message notifier go off even when it didn't?  I would be inside and I would hear crying, I would open the door thinking I was letting the detective in but he wouldn't be on the other side, and upon investigating would usually find him somewhere inappropriate like sleeping inside the recliner.  Yes he does that.

Apparently I wasn't hearing things though, it was actually this little guy.  Up until last night he had been really scared to come around here (I think because of a certain inhospitable cat that lives here), though I guess he's been creeping around for a while now.  We were sitting in the living room and the detective was going wild, running from window to window, rattling the blinds, being generally horrible.  Finally I decided to go outside and see what was causing him so much anxiety.

So I'm standing in the front yard when who should I see but this precious little angel.  At first he was just looking at me and I was just looking at him, until he realized that I wasn't going to hurt him.  While he was still looking at me he started kind of running around and checking me out from different angles.  Finally he just started running around me in giant circles, getting closer and closer each time he went around, until finally he was just running in circles around my legs and rubbing his body against my legs the whole way around.

: (

These pictures are the best ones I could snap because he was seriously constantly moving.


I really can't tell what his deal is, in some ways he seems like a housecat that has wandered too far from home and in other ways he seems really nervous like he's always lived on the streets.  Either way at least the weather is super nice here right now so I don't feel bad about leaving him outdoors until I figure out what else to do.

So after feeding him and taking these pictures I returned to the house to find a very disgruntled detective.  He was so worked up about this other cat creeping around and eating his food it was ridiculous.  At some point the little kitty was outside the front door and the detective was sitting right at the entrance just staring at the crack where the door meets the floor, as if willing it to open up and allow him to play with his new friend.  There was no breaking his concentration.  Not even when the cat ended up showing up at the back door and I went out there to talk to it and whatnot.  When I was coming back inside the little kitty tried to follow me and I had to make this whole production about keeping him out with my foot while I tried to slink in the backdoor.  When I finally got it shut with him outside I turned around to see that the detective was still staring at the front door, apparently unaware that there was no longer anything of interest on the other side.  I think he's learning disabled.

Anyways, I'm not sure what to do about this cat.  Scott suggested going on craigslist and posting in the missing pets section, I guess I will try that.  Any other ideas?  I'm hoping that this little kitty belongs to somebody and I can reunite them.

No comments:

Post a Comment