Wednesday, August 4, 2010

repeal of prop 8

I was thinking about the repeal of prop 8 and my mind went to this book that I am currently reading about the history of prohibition. What's really interesting about the book is that he discusses the many factors that went in to the passing of prohibition laws, including the suffrage movement and african american rights.

What's really crazy is how recently in history all of these things took place. Meghan took us on a tour of the American Woman exhibit that's going on at the Met right now and it was similarly eye opening in terms of how recent all of these things were. I mean, prohibition and womens rights issues were all going on less than 100 years ago! It's incredible when you really consider it, especially compared to the greater picture of human life.

So here we are, less than a hundred years after women were given the rights promised to them under the constitution, and we are now getting ready to accept homosexuals as well. It makes me wonder what things will happen in my life that will make me say, "wow, I never thought I'd see the day" because it seems like that day is coming and going. We have an african american president, gays can marry, women can vote, there's only so much more equality left to achieve.

but that's pretty cool huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment