Saturday, August 28, 2010

attack of the pink flamingos

Growing up in Florida you tend to take things like flocks of flamingos for granted. They really are amazing though. Sometimes when I am looking at crazy animals like this I think about what it must have been like to encounter them for the first time. Like, clearly the native americans who lived in Florida would have thought the flamingos were old hat, and in modern times even if you've never seen one in real life you have seen enough cartoon flamingos or plastic ones in people's yards that you know what to expect. But what did the European explorers think the first time they stumbled upon a flock of these crazy pink birds who's knees bend in the wrong direction? I woulda been like "what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?"

I wish I had been better prepared and had captured the experience we had with these guys. Apparently they are used to being fed by people so as soon as we came around the corner they came walking right over to us like freaky dinosaurs or something. They pretty much surrounded us and just walked around in circles honking at each other and at us. They kept coming right up to our faces and looking at us right in the eye. It was kind of freaky, but also really awesome.

Now Jon and I want to get matching flamingo tattoos. I will update you all when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment