Friday, July 30, 2010

my walk home from work


I was walking home from work and thinking how fortunate I am to have my commute include a trip through one of the most famous parks in the world. I often find myself on 5th avenue watching those weird double decker busses go by or seeing a tour group and I remember the first time that I ever came to new york city. I'm sure we were doing the requisite trip to FAO Schwartz and Tiffany and what not, but I distinctly remember walking along this stretch of 5th avenue by central park. I don't know why it made such an impression on me but I've always loved this part of new york ever since. I think central park is pretty phenomenal, and I like 5th because it makes me feel like i'm straddling the line between the fantasy land of central park and the reality of new york city.

I also love this walk because (for those of us who are tall enough) you will occasionally catch glimpses of the park over the stone wall and it always looks so picturesque. Growing up in the suburbs has made me really love the planned naturalness, you know, like a bunch strategically placed trees of different variety. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment