Tuesday, July 27, 2010

See below


So Andrew wrote me a message saying that he had tried to comment about my "post about being stuck in a rut" which made me laugh as that is not how I intended the last post to come out.

That being said, it's funny how one person can see a ritual and another can see it as a rut. It made me think about what things I do every day that I see as rut and what I see as ritual. Yoga I would like to think of as a ritual, although even with that I can easily get stuck in a rut. If I don't really make a point of it I will usually just do the things that are the easiest and most fun for me to do. I actually have to set an intention of doing the poses that challenge me and take me out of my "rut" and challenge me during my yoga "routine".

Right now my life is so all over the place that it's hard for me to really think of a "rut" that I'm in, but if I had to I'd say that my addiction to coffee is a pretty bad rut. I would say I probably go one day every month or so without having coffee for whatever reason, but never by choice. I generally will go through hell or high water to get my coffee in the morning, which is a rut that I'm not always such a fan of. I find it's easier for me to quit coffee in the winter time, as it's the draw of the iced coffee that gets me out of bed each morning these days. I don't know why it's so appealing but I love nothing more than a big iced coffee while I do my morning chores. I think I like the instant gratification and the consitency of an iced coffee. With hot coffee there is all the blowing and cooling before you can start drinking it, then you have a window of opportunity before the coffee turns room temperature and gross. With iced coffee you at least have the visual of the melting ice to herald the start of "gross coffee temperature".

What was the point of this post? Oh yeah, ruts. I guess besides my chronic joblessness I'm not really in any ruts these days. I guess I have routines that I like to do when I'm in various cities, but I'm never anywhere consistently enough for those routines to turn in to ruts.

So yeah, suck on that Andrew and your percieved pessimism

1 comment: