Monday, July 26, 2010

Ritual




I was doing yoga today and started thinking about rituals that I do every day, or have done in the past. I find for myself that I get in to a certain ritual for a few years but can then give it up and move on, but even so I always have some kind of ritual that I do every day. Wether it was practicing piano for years as a child, or doing yoga now as an adult, I've always had things that I do regularly.

While my mind was wandering on the subject of ritual during my warriors I couldn't help but think about all of the theatre history classes I've taken over the course of my life and how ritual is always a central focus in theatre. My mind was also taken back to "Dancing in the Streets" by Barbara Ehrenreich about the history of people coming together for no reason other than to celebrate and experience joy. In it she also touches on the idea that humans have an innate craving for ritual in their lives.

I think for me I enjoy having something I can rely on, especially more recently in my life when I have so many uncertainties from day to day. I like knowing that, if nothing else, I'll still do a handstand every day. I think what's hard is imagining a life where I don't have the time to do a handstand every day. I know that I need to buckle down and figure out some kind of "career" for myself, but the thought of working 40+ hours a week scares me because I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with the rituals that I've come to rely on to shape my life.

I guess the answer is to get a job that utilizes the life that I'm already leading...so any suggestions would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm just going to keep getting up in the morning, unrolling my yoga mat, and doing what I know how to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment