Tuesday, April 17, 2012

hide yo pets



Let's take a little trip back in time to last November

I heard you like adorable kittens

Omg, I haven't looked at those pictures since I took them.  Mia is so big now!!!!  I forgot how tiny and scrappy she was : ((((( I seriously just got teary eyed looking at those.

But that's not the point of this post.  The point is the poster above and what I like to call, "Heather finds a cat; pt 2".  I wish I could promise that this would not be an ongoing saga but it seems that Heather can't help but find herself with extra cats on her hands.

So the other day Heather calls me in to her apt with a pained expression on her face.  She points out to her patio where I see the handsome guy pictured above.  As soon as I see him Heather starts in with, "he's so nice and the girls love him and he's just out there with no collar and I don't know where he came from and he's so nice and I think you should just take him".

It was all a little too familiar for me.  Except my main excuse for not wanting Mia was that I don't want to deal with a kitten so now I had no excuse for why I couldn't immediately take this adult cat off her porch. Except for the fact that I don't want another large cat in my tiny apt, and this cat wasn't necessarily a stray either.  I offered to take Mia and she could take this mystery cat pointing out that they were basically exactly the same.

Heather didn't agree and said I'd missed my chance with Mia.  She felt there was no way this cat was anything but a stray who's only option was death on the streets or a life with me.  She refused to feed it, lecturing me about how strays won't leave if you feed them.  I pointed out that if the detective had gotten lost and was scared and confused I'd like to think that somebody would at least feed him instead of sitting inside with her two overfed cats just staring out at him on the patio and clucking their tongues.  But again my words fell on deaf ears as Heather exclaimed, "You can name him Spots!".

I told her I had to go to work but suggested she make a sign or something to put up in the neighborhood.  As a compromise I left my blinds up all day while I was at work to see if Spots wanted to make friends with the detective.  I wasn't surprised to find out they did not become friends.  The detective is angry.

I was also not surprised when I got home from work to see a man leaving Heather's apt with Spots cradled in his arm.  Apparently, no sooner had Heather put that sign above the mail boxes did she get a call from none other than her next door neighbor on the other side.  Yes, it was his cat who had merely jumped over the fence dividing their patios.  It definitely wasn't extreme for Heather to think that it was a feral street cat who hadn't had a good meal in years.

The good news is that Spots is at home, Heather made friends with "fence neighbors", and it's still just me and the detective together forever.  Although I will say that looking at those pictures of Mia as a kitten really tugged at my heartstrings.   At least I know it's only a matter of time before Heather steals somebody else's pet and then tries to pawn it off on me.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine totally had her cat stolen by a neighbor who thought he was a stray (which is ridiculous because Luther-pants was a fatso), and then he didn't want to come home!

    ReplyDelete