Saturday, April 16, 2011

gaga ooh la la


Scott scored tickets to the sold out Lady Gaga concert in St. Pete tonight and took me so I could complete the gayest trifecta ever of having seen Cher live in concert, Britney, and now Gaga.  As you can see our seats were kinda far back but I was happy with them.  The only better place to be would have been right up at the stage like we were for Britney, but I don't have the same drive to see Gaga up close and personal.  I mean, how often does lady Gaga's vagina slip out per show?  Probably not as often as Britney's.

And I'm not just comparing Gaga to Britney because I've seen them both live, Gaga herself drew the comparison during her show, but I will get to that in time.

First I just want to discuss how it was really fun and an amazing show.  I expected her to play the piano but she surprised me by also playing the electric bass and guitar.  I was also pleased that she pulled out the fire spitting bra and panty set from the bad romance video.  My favorite parts of the evening were when she was just talking with the audience though.  Specifically at one point when people were throwing shit on stage and she was collecting it and reading the notes and holding up the fan t-shirts and things and talking about how amazing it all was.  Then she was like, "there's one thing on this stage that does not make me happy.  This sad excuse for a woman" at which point she bent over and picked up a barbie doll that somebody had Gaga-ized.  She promptly bit the head off and spit it in to the audience which I thought was fabulously Ozzy Osbourne of her.


I did have a few problems with her show however.  For one, there was the highly questionable opening act "Semi Precious Weapons".  I was on the fence about them at first, though I'll admit the lead singer won me over with his egregious front splits and ass shaking as well as his comment, "If there's one thing I've learned about Florida, it's you bitches love to drink"

True and truer.

My issue with the opening act was the fact that not only did they start about 45 minutes after they were supposed to but then there was about an hour and a half wait after they were done before Gaga ever came on.  Whatever efforts they had made to amp up the audience was lost by the time we were supposed to be excited for the main event.


She did sing every song, often doing little remixes and things, but she also annoying pointed it out.  At some point towards the end of the show she made a comment about how she doesn't ever lip synch and how she wasn't like "one of those rich bitches who stand up here and fake their way through a show".

Now see Gaga, them's fighting words.  I'm assuming here that she's referencing Britney, but I don't think Gaga really wants to play that game.  Sure, Britney may not have sung at her show but she also didn't need her back up dancer to help her do a standing split.  Britney didn't spend 50% of her show laying on the ground because she was apparently too exhausted to keep it together for an entire show.  Britney also  has two decades worth of songs to pull from, not two albums.

And I don't ever remember Britney stopping in the middle of her show to trash talk anybody else, and then in the same breath talk about how you have to love yourself and not listen to the haters blah blah blah.  Although to her credit Gaga was really good about remembering what city and state she was in, something that Britney seems to struggle with a lot.

But why do we have to compare them?  Why can't Britney be Britney and Gaga be Gaga.  I think that's the resolution I came to by the end of the show.  After all was said and done I did feel like I had experienced Gaga tonight.  I definitely felt that her show was personal and dedicated to her fans.  I may not have agreed with a lot of the things she said, or some of the choices she made, but overall it was a great show.  It's fun to see somebody like her get such a great reception from Florida too.  Gives me hope that there are some cool people in this state still.


P.S. I had a whole thing going about how Lady Gaga is exactly like the movie Tootsie but I'm too tired to elaborate on all that now.  Just rest assured it's a brilliant comparison that will be shared with you all someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment