Tuesday, April 5, 2011

belated birthday at myakka


Due to my stupidity I had missed most of my sister's actual birthday and told her that I wanted to make it up to her one day with a special brother sister activity.  That day came on sunday and I took my sister to myakka.

We drove around mostly, we walked down one trail and then went out to the dam that I seem to always find myself going to.  The trail we walked down was the first one we got to and was chosen rather arbitrarily.  It ended up being a great walk though.

The path kind of rambled along side the river and had it not been for the water being there I'm not sure we would have felt comfortable trekking as far as we did.  Especially because myakka isn't like disney world, there is no barrier between you and the wild.  At one point I looked across the river to find this:


So creepy.  It looks like a dragon or something, all you can see is the huge reptilian tail curled in the grass.

There were more people at the dam area, some even brave enough to be out in boats even though it was quite windy.


And over at the dam there were a couple families fishing so of course there was a crowd of hopefuls gathered around the pier including this guy who was a lot bigger than he appears in this picture:


I should have gotten a bird in the picture or something for reference as to how big he was.  He was just camped out there right underneath where some children were fishing.  So hopeful.

Allegedly on our way out there was a baby alligator in the grass along side the road but neither my sister nor I saw it so I am not going to count it on our list of things we saw at myakka.  So overall the adventure wasn't terribly out of the ordinary, but it was a great way to spend some time with my sister just talking and enjoying the sunday morning drive through the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment