Tuesday, April 22, 2014

an emotional day


The detective is very upset because my crazy day = lots of snuggling and kisses for him.

At work today I saw a woman walking through my section and she seemed happy and normal until she saw me and stopped dead in her tracks.  She said I looked just like her son, but she wasn't really even talking to me, she went to my coworker and was started going through her purse.  She pulled out a picture and showed it to him and he said it kind of look like me.

I kept myself busy while they talked, feeling a little awkward about the situation.  As I moved around one of the fixtures she came closer to me, very cautiously, and said, "he would have been 39".  I told her I was sorry and when I looked at her face it was just so many emotions.  She asked if she could just look at me and I kind of awkwardly laughed and said yes, and then she immediately asked if she could hug me.  I opened my arms and she just wrapped her arms around me so tight and just started sobbing and sobbing.  After a few moments she let me go and said thank you and that she was sorry, and then she hurried away from me.  I excused myself to the bathroom to sob uncontrollably for about 10 minutes before I decided I just needed to go home.

After stopping at Heather's place for a hug, I went for a run, and then spent the evening making phone calls to some friends and family.  It's hard to ignore the universe when it sends you signs like that, to appreciate the people in your life while you still can.  I'll never forget how tight that woman squeezed me.


I'm going to try to squeeze the detective that tightly at least once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment