Sunday, October 13, 2013

where the sidewalk ends


Its been perfect weather for the past few weeks down here.  It's hard to not want to spend every waking moment outside.

I made a special effort to stop at the top of the bridge last time to take pictures, so of course this time I got to the top just as the bridge started opening.


It's crazy to think that there are boats tall enough to need a bridge this high to still open.


I never really noticed how eerily quiet the mechanisms of the drawbridge are.  I guess because it works on hydraulics?  It just seems outrageous for something to large and complex seeming could operate making barely any noise.

I also liked that in the maybe 5 minutes that the bridge was up a seagull landed on one of the horizontal traffic lights just like, "Oh, a new place for me to sit".  He seemed genuinely surprised when the bridge started going down and his roost got turned upright.

Stopping and pondering the mechanics of a drawbridge made me realize I had never explored the area under the bridge, so I made a little detour on my way down.


If you're wondering what's under the bridge it's basically a lot of drunks.  Some homeless, some tourists waiting for the water taxi.  And no, Jon, this is not the water taxi:


Cause if it were I'd be taking it to work and back on the daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment