Sunday, October 30, 2011

on the good ship lollipop


My friend Toby came from new york for halloween weekend in ft. lauderdale, I'm sorry that my posting has been nonexistent.  If it's any consolation it's because I was doing things like spending the day on the boat pictured above, courtesy of friends of Toby.

I sent that picture to Meghan because I had heard it was snowing up north and I wanted somebody to be jealous, which she was.  I had to come clean though about the reality of the situation.  That picture has more camera tricks working for it than a barbara walters special.  This was more what a lot of the day was:


All of us huddled on the back deck watching the deluge.  It was a typical Florida day where the driving rain would start and stop at a moments notice so those of us foolhardy enough to keep going upstairs would then have to try and climb down the narrow slippery staircase as the waves and rain pelted us unmercifully.

Being inside had it's advantages too though.  Namely this handsome guy who, much to everyone's delight, shared the name Toby:


I also spent a good deal of my time inside perched on the edge of the couch so I could watch the horizon to keep from throwing up.  It's crazy how in the canals you notice how big the boat is by how little it is affected by other boats wake, but once you get out in to the ocean you're reminded of how insignificant you are as the waves toss you about.  One thing that was not tossed about by the waves however was this beautiful glass sculpture of a wave:


I spent most of my inside time here so I could see out the windows, but I would also watch that sculpture as the boat tipped from side to side and it never moved!!  Even when all of the drawers in the kitchen came flying out and everything crashed to the floor it still stayed right there.  That is craftsmanship right there.

But the trip wasn't all rain and roughness, there were grace periods, especially when we got down to Miami.


We even got to do one of my favorite nautical activities; making motorists wait.


As we cruised down the Intra Coastal and got deeper in to Miami proper I kept looking for the bad girls house but I never saw it.  I saw a couple that looked like it but I don't think it was it.  I also tried to be on the lookout for Rosie or Gloria but neither made an appearance.

We kind of just got to Miami when we had to turn and head back so I only got a glimpse of downtown proper.


Which was fine as the hosts of the afternoon had been more than generous already with their time and toys.  I just hope I get a chance to do it again.

Upon returning to Ft. Lauderdale there was little time to spare before we headed to a halloween party.  I felt bad that I wasn't dressed as anything but I was glad I went regardless.  I have seen more amazing houses in the past two days here than you'd believe.  And costumes!  So many good costumes, but I have no trouble naming my favorites.  Toby's friends Bill and Jed win the grand prize in my book:


Half of the amazingness of these costumes was how much joy it brought me when I would look at them and the other half was the joy on other people's faces when they would see them for the first time.  I mean really, I still can't get over how much I love these costumes.

Though I have to give credit to the runner up who was literally running around the party the whole night just being nice:


I want a doggy that I can dress up in costumes and have run around and smile at people.  And since that's pretty much all I've seen in Ft. Lauderdale the past two days I'd say I'm in the right place for it.

I'm not sure what's on the agenda for today.  It's overcast and rainy again, lame.  I guess it's time to wake up human Toby and figure it out.

Happy Halloween!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment