Thursday, August 12, 2010

happy birthday ms. cleo

Thank you dlisted.com for informing me that today is Ms. Cleo's birthday!!! I'm really glad that I'm old enough to remember when these ads were on tv, she always reminded me of our bus driver from 7th grade who would stop at the grocery store and let us all get out and by candy and soda before she took us the rest of the way home. She was awesome.

Ms. Cleo also makes me think of Laura and how she used to work as a phone in psychic. She said it sounds better than it really is and that most of the time you are just talking to really sad people who sincerely think you can give them some guidance in their life. She said that people would ask her really horrible questions like "should I leave my husband" and she would have to answer, knowing that her completely uninformed answer would shape the course of this persons life.

At least Ms. Cleo didn't actually have to deal with this kind of inner turmoil since she never actually answered any calls. That's true right? I seem to remember hearing that, that she was just a personality and didn't actually do the actual phone answering. Kind of like Dr. Phil, just the face of the empire, without any real credentials or reasons for why they are allowed to dish out advice to people. Only Dr. Phil is more insidious, at least Ms. Cleo has a Jamaican accent. How are you not going to listen to somebody who sounds like Sebastian from the little mermaid?

No comments:

Post a Comment