Monday, August 2, 2010

Best Brunch Ever

Meghan took me to Freemans yesterday which was really amazing. Its at the end of this alley on the lower east side, super nyc and fabulous. Their drink menu was so fun, like something I would have come up with. Lots of fresh juice blends with champaign or gin fizzy drinks, kind of had a southern feel. I wasn't feeling terribly well so this was the drink I got, a Mrs. Palmer. There was no booze but it was beyond amazing, I would forego booze for this drink any day. It's basically just a really good ice tea with fun stuff in it like lavender honey. Mmmm I want one now!

The real best part of brunch however came at the end of the meal, when I got one of those fabulous life justifying moments. To fully explain I have to go back in time a bit first. I went to a party on the 4th of July on Dan's roof, which always draws a huge crowd of friends of friends of friends. At some point I ended up mixed in with a group of strangers and struck up a conversation with a guy wearing a mickey mouse as hitler t-shirt that I enjoyed very much. I asked him how he was more tan than me and he said he had just moved to NYC from Arizona. We chatted a bit more and then I asked for his phone number before we parted ways. So cut to several days later, I text the number just to touch base and get a reply from somebody who was not this kid. I come to realize that they number he gave me was incorrect. So I contacted Dan and asked if he knew anything about this guy, Dan said that he also had his number and offered to call him for me. When Dan called the number, it too turned out to be a wrong number.

So I just assume that that's this kid's M.O., givin' out wrong numbers left and right. I can't imagine why, as I would be eager to make friends if I had just moved to a new city, but whatever to each his own.

So, cut to brunch, we're sitting there and all of a sudden somebody is refilling my water, I turn to say thank you and come face to face with this kid. I felt like he knew who I was but I wasn't sure that it was him at first, so after he left I asked the bartender what his name was. Now, unbeknownst to me the guy sitting next to me at the bar was like a manager or something. For whatever reason he decided to get really involved, asking me if I knew this kid and how etc etc. I was really reluctant to tell him the truth about the situation because I felt like I didn't want to color their impressions of him since he had apparently just started working there, so I just kept giving really vague answers to his questions about how I knew him. So the guy finally finished his breakfast and leaves the bar, I turn to Meghan and say "lets get over here before he sends that kid over to talk to me", but no sooner had the words escaped my lips and he was there right next to me.

"So we met at a party?" he says casually. "oh we met at a party" I reply. It was honestly one of the funniest things that has ever happened because he was being totally flirty and acting like he couldn't really remember me but definitely wanted to get to know me more. I was trying to make conversation and resist the urge to just flat out say, "YOU GAVE ME A WRONG NUMBER! WHO DOES THAT?!", until finally the opportunity was just too good to pass up. After a bit of conversation he goes, "oh well let me give you my card" and I just couldn't stop laughing. He asked me what was so funny and I said, "well, did you realize that you gave me the wrong number". It was one of those magical moments where you just see somebody's facial expressions change in front of your eyes, you see them desperately scanning their memory banks to figure out if they did actually do this, if so why, and how the fuck he was going to get out of it now.

Apparently Meghan had been sitting next to me at the bar up until this point when she had to immediately flee to the bathroom because she said she could no longer keep herself from laughing in his face. It was one of those, "it wasn't steroids, it was just water all along" moments because I definitely wouldn't have been so brazen if I had realized that I no longer had somebody watching my back, but regardless I totally caught him. He kind of tried to talk his way out of it but never really offered an explanation as to why he gave both me and Dan wrong numbers.

When we were leaving the restaurant shortly after the manager from the bar stopped me and said, "I hope you don't mind, I just wanted you guys to reconnect", to which I said, "oh I didn't mind, I didn't mind at all".

So satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment