Saturday, January 28, 2012

a couch for Kim


I felt bad for canceling my nyc trip this weekend so I told Kim I would make it up to her by using this time at home to finally take care of my couch situation.

I have turned away more than one house guest because of my lack of furniture in my apt, but it's Kim who has waited the most patiently.  You will be rewarded Kim, with a beach vacation.  You just have to help me figure out which couch to get.

Heather was nice enough to take me couch shopping today.  We ended up trying to decide between the gray L shaped couch seen above, and this more classic one:


Here are some pros and cons to help you understand the debate.

Grey Couch
PROS
-fun L shape, you can switch it to the other side as well.
-more comfortable for multiple people to sit on.
-Heather claims she would only need something for her feet to rest on and then she'd be, "totally comfortable sleeping on the end piece" though I'm suspicious.
-fits the style of my current apt, for whatever that's worth.

CONS
-$100 more expensive than the beige couch.
-weird checkerboard pattern on the cushions which showed signs of wear on another model and look like they would hold crumbs quickly and efficiently.
-texture of the material isn't anything to write home about.


Beige Couch
PROS
-So comfortable (reminded me of Eliza's mom's couch for those of you that have been so fortunate)
-more classic looking.
-the arms were really comfortable to lean against so when Heather and I sat at either end we could pretty much face each other.
-texture of the fabric was very nice, kind of like suede.
-it's the same as Heather's couch which she says is very easy to keep clean.

CONS
-much larger, in reality but also just looks.  The oversized cushions and whatnot, I'm afraid it will look silly in my little apt.
-The arms stick out so dramatically that they just end up requiring the sofa take up more space than it actually needs.
-can you imagine how annoying the detective's furballs will look on this?


So you see my dilemma.  We might go to another place tomorrow morning but most likely it's going to come down to these two.  I just don't know which to pick.

That's not true.  I know what I really want but it's just not going to happen.  At least not at this apt anyways.


Someday I'll realize my I Dream of Jeannie fantasy life, until then I'll have to settle for an ordinary couch. Kim, would you like to put in your two cents as the first person who will be sleeping on it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay! This is so nice. My first instinct is the grey couch, because I sometimes sleep in an L-shape and it is similar to my couch, which is very comfortable. It does attract debris easily, but it's easy to brush/lint roll off. I support your decision either way though; the beige couch is very beautiful and intimate and you seem sort of sold on the comfortability. I will help you create a dome woven from Nathanael's body hair for either couch.

    ReplyDelete