Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snowbird

Good bye New York City, I'm sure I'll be back soon but for now I'm retreating to the warm embrace of the sunshine state. 

Yesterday did not go as badly as it could have gone, kitty was actually a precious precious angel for most of the trip.  I was the most nervous about taking him out of his carrier to go through TSA but he did fine.  I think he was a little overwhelmed but he basically just looked around at everyone while I held him and went through.  He did get compliments left and right, and even melted the icy hearts of two different stern faced TSA ladies. 

The Detective is definitely a lightweight, I learned that from this trip.  The Vet gave me extra drugs to keep him quiet in case I got stuck at the airport for a long time, but the dose I gave him at 10am before we left actually lasted the entire day, to the point that I was getting worried about him on the way home from the airport when he still seemed totally out of it. 

When I first let him out of his carrier at my Dad's he seemed pretty freaked out.  He went straight behind the toilet to hide, which was ridiculous because he didn't fit at all so his big fluffy tail was still sticking out in the middle of the bathroom.  When you looked around you could just see his little face staring straight back at you.  I felt bad. 

But it didn't take long for him to acclimate to his new surroundings.  Once he came out of the bathroom the first thing he did was climb in to the closet in my bedroom and start breaking things.  And today he's been even worse. 

I had to go to the airport to get my luggage (It was sent to Sarasota though I ended up flying in to Ft. Meyers) and my dad sent me a text message while I was away saying that the cat was aggressively purring and rubbing against his legs and if he didn't pet him right away, or if he did pet him briefly and then stop, he would hiss at him.  Now I have never EVER heard the detective hiss so this comes as a surprise to me.  Especially from wanting attention?  That just seems unusual. 

But it's true, he even hissed at me for no apparent reason when I got home.  I guess it's just retaliation for the drugging.  I hope it's not because he's upset that I separated him and Weezie.  Ariel said that Weezie is depressed : (

As for Florida it's fine.  It's of course rainy and gross today but at least the temp stayed above 60 for the entire day, even going in to the 70s.  Much better than the 20 degree (feels like 10) weather that was New York for the past two weeks.  I already made my first trip to Whole Foods and stocked up on tons of fruits and veggies so I'm a happy camper now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment