Saturday, June 16, 2012

San Fran: the final day


UNfortunately Will had an unexpected doctors appointment during the day on Friday so I was left to fend for myself on the mean streets of San Francisco.  He was nice enough to drop me off in front of these houses which he was under the impression was the best he could do for the full house house.  While they looked familiar I just couldn't believe that one of them was really the house.  I ended up looking it up on my phone and discovered that these are the houses in the background when they are having their picnic but the actual full house house is on a different street that was way too far out of my way.

So I'm sorry Sergio, I never got to take the picture I had promised you, but at least I still have something to do on my next visit to san fran.

I walked from the painted ladies downtown on my way to meet Meredith for lunch.  It was really fun to just wander through the city.  I saw several houses that looked like they just had to be haunted, like this one:


But then I'd turn another corner and come upon something like this dazzling spectacle:


I commented to will that their town hall was certainly gold encrusted and he responded with, "well we are a city founded on gold".

Touche.

Besides the beautiful architecture and landscaping, I also noticed a trend going on with the sidewalks in San Francisco.  In nyc I got in to the habit of reading all the writing in the sidewalk because every once in a while you'd find a gem.  In San Francisco it was like every time I noticed writing in the sidewalk it would be something bizarre and amazing like this:


When I showed that picture to Will he said, "well it clearly looks like it was written by a child" as if that explained everything.  If anything it just raises more questions for me.

And when I have questions there's only one sure answer that I know to turn to:


I got to Paragon before Meredith and noticed all the makings for a find bloody mary behind the bar.  I was please with my order when this arrived.  I sent that picture to Meghan and she replied, "you can tell it's going to be so good from all those bits floating around in it"

I couldn't agree more, the bits are the hallmark of a well crafted bloody mary.  And that was one fantastic bloody.  Made even better by the swift arrival of Meredith in all her beautiful glory.  It did make me a little sad that I can't swing by Mere's work every day for a casual boozy lunch, but I'm still thankful for the time that I did get.

After lunch Meredith pointed me in the direction of the sea lions.  She said it was a bit of a walk but it was along the water so it would be nice, and it was!  Having no way to look up where the sea lions were on google maps I had to rely on faith that I would eventually get to them.  As I got further and further along I would think the bark of every passing dog was surely the sea lions heralding my arrival, but no, it would just be a St. Bernard.  Just as I was beginning to think that maybe I was destined to never see the sea lions, just like the full house house, I stumbled upon this fantastic sign:


Just when you're starting to lose faith, good old Salty shows up to help you out.  And sure enough, a few turns of the boardwalk and I found myself face to face with some VERY nice guys:


Meredith kept commenting, "I don't understand why you would want to see those smelly obnoxious loud things".  Ummm how about because they are handsome and nice and make funny barking noises and just snooze in the sun?  What's not to love about that?  The tourists on the other hand were less than enjoyable, so I only stayed for a little bit with them before I continued on my wandering through the city.

Having to come all the way downtown for the sea lions did yield an unexpected benefit, a closer view of Alctatraz:


I do want to go there, another reason for me to come back and visit.

I spent the rest of the day just wandering through the city, stumbling upon things like this:


I really like that crazy triangle building on the corner too.  It looks like another haunted one, just like this:


I want to live there!

I also found more weird poetic cement writing:


I think San Francisco must be where hipsters are grown.

After a long day of walking all over the city I was exhausted and ready for my red-eye back home.  Will took me out for a farewell dinner at Social before taking me to the airport.  With my belly full of delicious kale salad and brussel sprout chips I was one contended happy camper when I got on the plane.  I slept like a baby all the way which was good as I had to go to work all day today.  The only reason I have the energy to do this post right now is that I'm still on California time, but this sleepy time tea I'm having is making my bed look better and better.  After last night's sleep on the tray table of my aisle seat I am looking forward to stretching out with the detective at my side.

Thank you San Francisco for showing me an amazing time, I look forward to visiting again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment