Saturday, May 28, 2011

as usual


Apparently the changes in latitude did not come accompanied by changes in attitude so I have still been waking up around 7am every morning, leaving me with at least 3 hours before I feel it's ok for me to go in to Andrew's room and start jumping up and down on his mattress. 

It's ok though as I've been enjoying my morning time regardless of not having anybody to share it with.  Yesterday I walked around Sullivan's Island, no particular direction in mind, and I kept stumbling on relics from my past. 


Not that I went to Sullivan's Island Elementary, don't get me wrong, I'm not part of that upper echelon of the Charleston elite.  But I do remember when this was the bus stop for our middle school bus.  It certainly didn't look like an old abandoned factory back then though.  It seriously took me several moments to realize what I was standing in front of. 

It did not take me long however to figure out what I was standing in front of when I turned the corner and saw this:


Apparently the owners of this don't exactly understand what it is though, as they have placed a birdhouse on top of it.  This seems kind of cruel and unusual punishment for the birds that would choose to nest here.  They'd get a joggling they won't soon forget.  I can't really see myself wanting to joggle next to a bird house anyways.  It just seems like it would be a mess. 

Other favorites from my walk  were the sullivan's island library seen here:


It only looks like a small library because that's the entrance.  It's an old military fort that goes back in the hill and down underground.  I also enjoy that there is an old volvo parked in front of it.  What is it about people from east cooper loving this style of volvo? 

Anyways, the most fabulous thing I found on my early morning walk was Rachel, riding her bike as usual.  And we met at one of my most favorite places:


Not so much because it's beautiful but because I've always been scared of this park.  When we first moved to Charleston my mom took us to this park to play one afternoon.  At some point afterword we found out that there were some kind of satanic rituals and kid snatchings that happened just over the hill beyond the gazebo.  I always felt like I had a brush with death that day.  And again yesterday with Rachel. 

I sit here now at the lake thinking how Charleston is already becoming a memory.  When I plugged my phone in this morning I had 63 pictures to download from yesterday.  I need to get them sorted before the others start waking up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment