Sunday, March 31, 2013

deep in the heart of alligator alley


It was a wild ride up to Sarasota today.

Before I even left Broward County I was in traffic with a guy who, alone in his car, was fist pumping at a speed and intensity that I've never seen before.  I'm talking sunroof open, full extension of his arm, at a frenzied pace.  I wasn't sure if he had friends in traffic with him somewhere or what, frankly I didn't want to hang around long enough to find out.

Then, in alligator alley, I start passing road signs proclaiming low visibility ahead.  No explanation as to why, just low visibility.  I began to notice a darkness on the horizon that looked like an impending thunderstorm, so I was surprised when none of the cars coming towards me had their windshield wipers on.  As I got closer and closer to the darkness I realized it was not rain at all.  Suddenly I was enveloped in a cloud of thick smoke, looking to the side of the road I realized I had found myself smack dab in the middle of a forest fire.  Like literally flaming palmettos at the roads edge, and trucks of firemen fighting the blaze, while traffic slowed slightly but continued on as normal.  I even saw a helicopter on its way carrying a load of water.

At the last leg of my journey I just hit completely stopped traffic on the interstate.  Another time when I was thankful for the map in my car.  I just found an alternate route of country roads and ended up finishing my drive cruising down the rural highways that wind through the orange groves.  It was actually quite nice.

And now I'm here, belly full of delicious Easter dinner, getting ready for bed with one of my best friends Miller.




No comments:

Post a Comment