Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday afternoon

Saturday afternoon was spent at Eliza's parents home on Sullivan's Island. I guess they have been here for about 4 years now but this was the first time I had been back to Charleston since they built it and moved in. There has always been much debate about which of her houses was "the best". Her father, having been in real estate for all of our childhoods, moved around quite a bit so there are quite a few different homes that each hold special memories for anybody privy to be invited.

If not for the home itself, this one has to take the cake just for the view. This first video I took was standing in the pool and looking from the neighbors to the left over to the neighbors to the right. I couldn't take a picture because the view was too expansive, even from inside the house, so I had to take a video.


This second video I took while walking down the incredibly long dock to the boat house where we spent part two of our afternoon. I understand if you get too seasick to watch the whole thing, but it's pretty incredible. You can see the new bridge all the way over to the sullivans island draw bridge.

So the point of this post was supposed to be more about what an amazing afternoon we had, not just how incredible the view was, but I feel like being in such a beautiful and quintessentially charleston environment only added to the ambiance of the afternoon.

It started with Jojo and Katie hanging out in and by the pool with us. Margaret made us margaritas that were too perfect. It all felt very right, and like we hadn't ever left.

We had lunch on the porch before we went down the dock to swim in the marsh while it was still high tide. I don't think i've laughed that hard in a long time, in general. Just a whole afternoon of laughter and sly glances exchanged between old friends.

We had a break in the afternoon when we took Jojo back home and I got to visit with her Mom who I hadn't seen in quite some time. On the way back we picked up Meghan and Sam and began our second part of my Saturday of amazingness.

We took Meghan and Sam out to the dock to show them the view and enjoy champagne that Margaret has insisted we have (to much arm twisting of course). It didn't take long for Sam to find the rope attached to the crab trap and begin pulling it up. It didn't take long for decisions to be made that the crabs must be cooked and eaten.

I have to say, I feel bad for crabs. Meghan was quick to point out that I am pretty much constantly eating cheeseburgers, which may be true, but there was something about those sad crabs holding on to the bars of the cage for dear life, knowing the boiling doom that awaited them. It was just sad. I know, I'm a hypocrite, I can't help it.

Regardless of the carnage, it was the perfect end to an amazing low country day. The three of them feasted on crab while i took a nighttime swim in the pool and watched the headlights cross the new cooper river bridge.

As incredible as it was to be able to spend the day in a home like that, feeling like you had stepped in to a pottery barn catalogue, the very end of our evening was just as special. We finally got ourselves back to meghan's house where we found a huge container of shrimp creole that her parents had made. Meghan, Sam, and I ended the night sitting around the cozy kitchen table eating shrimp creole and laughing about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment